Friday 11 May 2012

African Violets


I went to visit an elderly Aunt last Saturday  she has moved house since my last visit, her new place is a top floor flat, and she has turned it into a lovely cosy home.  There are so many lovely things surrounding her most of which are gifts from family and friends, a beautiful picture of poppies painted by her niece and a lovely landscape painted by a friend and a hand made picture frame containing a photo of my sons graduation.  I could see that she treasured these gifts as they were all in a place of prominence where her eyes will fall upon them while she sits in her cosy chair.  You can just tell when someone appreciates hand made things. Well it's her birthday next week so I wanted to give her a special gift for her new home so I have made these African Violets I hope that she will like them.   I  love African Violets but they never seem to live that long for me, or they will bloom and then the flowers die and you have to wait so long for them to reappear.  So I think that this is the perfect solution, they are very realistic don't you think.  
It's a June Gilbank design  and as soon as I saw the pattern I had to buy it.  I have never tried making anything like this before so they may not be as perfect as they should be but the pattern is quite simple and easy to follow. I added a few of my own touches like adding the little ladybird and the butterfly.  In fact I liked it so much I made a smaller version for myself :)

The pictures don't really do it justice I have been wanting to show you all these all week but the lighting has been so dull and the photo's turned out very dark, in the end I took the photo's outside on my patio between the showers.

The ladybird and butterfly can be found in the book 75 Birds and Butterfly's
I adapted the ladybird to make it smaller to fit the leaf

11 comments:

  1. çok güzel olmuş ellerinize sağlık güzel bir hafta sonu diliyorum sevgiler.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Linda, I'm a new follower to your blog.
    I'd already seen your African Violets pot on your post on The Flower Bed blog however seeing it again here I must say what detail! Impressive! I'd say a lot of work went into that and your extras the ladybird and butterfly are lovely.

    Amanda :-)
    at Crafty in the Med

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comments Amanda have just visited your blog and have become a follower too. :)

      Delete
  3. They both came out nice - the little ladybird and butterfly look right at home. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  4. Very nice... love the ladybug!
    Shari

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet gift! And it's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi dear friend Linda, I found your very nice blog from Debi's new blog http://crafts-didyoumakethat.blogspot.com/. I like your crochets so so much. I will follow your very nice blog more closer. I am very pleased to meet you. All best wishes..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, I will always answer any questions but due to time constraints I'm not always able to reply to your comments, please keep them coming I read and appreciate each and every one. xx